About the Job
Do you believe in the power of social enterprise to create meaningful and scalable social change in disadvantaged communities in Egypt and across the Arab region? Are you looking to influence a movement that is backing social change and transforming lives across the Arab world? Then you should take a look at Alfanar.
Launched in 2004, Alfanar is a UK-based charity with offices in Cairo and Beirut that aims to transform lives in disadvantaged communities across the Arab world by investing in and strengthening ambitious social enterprises, especially those focused on children’s education and women’s economic empowerment. Alfanar provides grants and technical assistance to social enterprises, enabling them to achieve greater financial sustainability and to scale their impact. Alfanar’s highly engaged venture philanthropy approach applies the principles of private sector investment to charitable giving. It strives to deliver social returns that are sustainable, scalable, and game changing. Alfanar aims to double its social impact and income within the coming two years as well as significantly improve its brand awareness across the UK, Europe, the US and the Arab world. Alfanar provides capable and qualified candidates a rare opportunity to help strengthen and scale innovative civil society organisations in the Arab world.
The Egypt Social Investment Officer, in coordination with the Egypt investment team, is in charge of supporting the management of investments as well as contributing to fundraising and communications. The Social Investment Officer will take full ownership of the end-to-end investment cycle for 4-5 social enterprises from Alfanar’s portfolio as well as pipeline sourcing and due diligence of new investees. The social enterprises s/he shall manage aim to economically empower refugee and host communities. The contribution of the Social Investment Officer will help Alfanar ensure that its investees are meeting their impact and sustainability targets while assisting them in their transformation.
Duties and responsibilities
The Social Investment Officer’s duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Contribute to the development of Alfanar Egypt’s investment strategy and to growing the portfolio of investees, including pipeline sourcing and due diligence on new investees, in close coordination with the Country Director
- Contribute to the investment cycle across the portfolio, including:
- Sourcing, selection and due diligence on new investments
- Designing the pilot year and long-term investments
- Capacity-building via Alfanar’s formal 12-module training program (ASSET)
- Mentoring & introducing investees to technical experts and mentors
- Monitoring & Evaluation including data assurance
- Contribute to the growth of Alfanar’s network of technical experts and mentors
- Contribute to the organisation of investee gatherings
- Contribute to the organisation of “Impact connector” events whose purpose is to introduce well connected individuals to our investees to support them with their connection needs and business development
Monitoring & Evaluation, Data Assurance & Donor Reporting
- Contribute to setting the financial, social and organisational key performance indicators (KPIs) for the social enterprises’ pilot and long term investment
- Mentor the investees on impact monitoring, data collection and on using our customised business intelligence tool, QLIK
- Oversee the results of the above and contribute to any remedial actions
- Perform investment-related data assurance (impact and financial)
- Handle all donor-related reporting activities for donations that are restricted to specific investees
8 to 15 years
About this Company
Alfanar’s mission is to strengthen social enterprises that transform the lives of women and children in the Arab world’s most disadvantaged communities.
Alfanar is the Arab region’s first venture philanthropy organisation. We seek to improve lives in poor and…
See all Careers and Jobs at Alfanar